Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Fly Fiend Tying Station

I didn't really have an ideal fly tying station in my apartment so it was my MLK day goal to create a semi-portable but reliable setup. My fly tying material has been growing weekly so I was in need of some organization. I stopped by my local Target and was able to get a table and 2 organizing bins for under $50.


On the left, I tried to organize it by: hooks, eyes/beads, body wrapping material (tinsel, bugger chenille, plastic wraps, body braids), tying materials (threads, lead wire, wires, d-rib, scissors, whip finish tool, cements), streamer materials (semi-empty at the moment), buck tails (yes, a whole drawer), feathers (turkey, pheasant, hackle, cdc), and egg tying material (chenille, estaz, glo-bug).

If you see on my table, I have 4 arsenal bins. I separate them by saltwater, freshwater (nymph/dry/streamer), and egg patterns. I started with 2 bins within a week it grew to 4 and I have a feeling it might grow again soon. 

The last important addition to that fly tying table is my vise. I was fortunate to get a Regal vise from my dad for Christmas. Now that I think about it, it is funny that he got me this when he started wearing cheater glasses and is really nice to me right before we go on a fly fishing trip. Anyway, its a great vise! I have a medallion series SS Jaw with a bronze pocket base. 

This is where the magic happens from tying flies to typing these posts up. It isn't the prettiest thing, but it will do! 

If you were wondering, yes, that is me holding a 10+ pound steelhead in the picture on the cork board. 
-The Fly Fiend

No comments:

Post a Comment