Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Product Test: Squirmy Wormies ~ San Juan Worm

Here is my first product review, but I have to give credit to The Fiberglass Manifesto for mentioning it in a post because I would not have purchased it otherwise. I picked up this material called "Squirmy Wormies" the other day from Bear's Den located in Taunton, MA. It was around $3.00 for a pack and when I saw it I needed to try it out.

Materials:
Allen Nymph Hook 1x-2x (F-006) Size 12
"Squirmy Wormies" material 
6/0 Thread (color to match)

I picked up San Juan Red, but they offer it in quite a few colors including glow in the dark. As for the hooks, I found Allen Fly Fishing about a year ago and they offer quality hooks for a very reasonable price making them my go-to ever since. 

Step 1: 
Put a hook in your vice and wrap the thread down the shank back to the bend. Take the Squirmy Wormy and tie it in leaving enough for a tail. 



Step 2: 
Once the back is secure, work the thread back up the shank. Leaving space so you don't crowd the eye, tie the worm back in. You can put a hump in the back or keep it straight. I like to put a hump in my San Juan Worms to make it look like they are moving. When working with the material, you will realize that the water will definitely give it a life-like movement, so try switching up how you tie each one for different looks.

Step 3: 
After the worm is in place, whip finish. I will warn you, DO NOT ADD HEAD CEMENT. Head cement just eats away at the Squirmy Wormy and leave you with nothing. 

Overall, I like the material. It was very easy to use and inexpensive for a good amount of San Juan worms. I need to see this thing in action, but I have a feeling that early season Landlocked Salmon will feast on this. You can pick this up online at various fly shops, but Spirit River Inc. makes the material. 


No comments:

Post a Comment