Monday, May 6, 2013

Spring Skunking

As many of you know, stripers have been the topic of the spring. 

"When are they going to be here?" 
"What are they eating?"
"Schoolies in Rhode Island."
"KEEPERS IN RHODE ISLAND!!!"
"Mack's in the Boston Harbor."

With all the talk, I had to try my luck. I knew it might be a bit early to hit it, but I fished the outgoing tide at Castle Island in Southie yesterday. When I parked, I crossed paths with a kayak angler who fished high tide. He said he was dragging tube worms and saw a few others out, but he didn't have any luck and he didn't see anyone else hooking up.

If you have never fished Castle Island, there is a large man-made walkway that creates a salt pond. There are 2 bridges that allow water in at high and drains at low. It is great to fish right near the bridges because it creates some fast water and some eddies. 2 hours of throwing Slug-Go's and no luck. I saw a few birds working an area outside the Castle Island area but that was all the excitement.

I think it is a matter of a week before schoolies are in thick down in Boston and 2 weeks for North shore/Salisbury area. Let's hope it's sooner rather than later, I am ready for this season to start.

-The Fly Fiend

No comments:

Post a Comment