Friday, June 7, 2013

Cows are in!

I spent Wednesday night in the city-limits surf fighting the 10pm incoming tide in search of a nice, big striped bass. I got there around 8pm and saw some action right away. There was some bird commotion going on, but couldn't see any surface action. After talking to a few other anglers who had been skunked, my faith was fading. I finally got to my spot and after only 5 minutes, I saw a keeper sized fish flip out of the water. Unless there is a feeding frenzy going on, this is pretty rare to see. A few casts leading to catching seaweed and mussel beds (feeding areas for striped bass) and a few bumps, my faith had been remotely restored .

Photo: StripahhhhIt's crazy to say, but it was actually beautiful seeing the sunset over Boston, even though there were Boeing 737's flying overhead, so my attention started to fade. It didn't help that I knew the Bruins were tied at 1's going into the third period, but I knew the game would give me the water to myself. As my attention drifted with the incoming tide, I had a hit and solid hook set. Once that fish knew it was hooked, I had to hold on. It's initial run was about 30 yards and it sounded nice to hear my reel scream, but I was working the edge of some fast water and I realized I should probably work the fish away from there so I wouldn't get spooled. The fish made a few additional runs, but man it was great to have a tight line!

I landed the cow and got out my measuring tape to see whopping 33 inches! I was fishing alone so I had to ask a couple walking to take my picture. After deciphering their thick Bahhhston accents, I was able to get a decent picture. All in all a great night, but could have been better if I capitalized on those early bumps. I hooked up with this pig on a brown-back shad imitation and tried some mackerel imitations where bigger bait is in. I saw a few bait schools working the shoreline before sundown...think big and white!

-The Fly Fiend

No comments:

Post a Comment