Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Fishing on TV

I recently read reading an article on the Field and Stream website about the hit TV show Downtown Abbey. This caught my attention, not because I watch the TV show, but because I recently picked up a L.L. Bean Streamlight spey rod. So I read on...

In the article, the author, Tim Romano, and his friend, author of "Fifty Places to Fish Before you Die" Chris Santella, were talking about how TV portrays fishing in an awful way. I completely agree with this as I just saw an episode of The Haney Project and someone was fly casting from a dock into salt water, then showed an underwater clip of sunfish and perch...Common! At least get the water species the same! Anyway, the recent Downtown Abbey episode showed a character spey casting and I guess it was terrible. Tim wrote, "Does he lack a proper casting stroke because of his more modest uprbringing? Did his ghillie refuse to give him any instruction? Were his arms worn out after wresting the salmon (that we see later in the scene, borne by said ghillie) from the stream?" If I had the money, I would probably take lessons.

These TV shows are giving fisherman a bad image. My bone to pick is not that this guy is an awful spey caster, as I am one too, but that TV gives fishing a bad image. All fisherman are not like that, in fact I would argue those that are passionate are better than average. 

I know this was a random thought, but it is upsetting. Feel free to share your own thoughts.

Maybe I will take some spey lessons so I don't look like that guy.
-The Fly Fiend

No comments:

Post a Comment