Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Texas Vacation

Next week, I am headed to Texas to hang out with some of my cronies from high school. Instinctively, like with any vacation, I figured I should see what the fishing was like. My friends live in Dallas, so I called up Tailwaters Fly Shop to see how the bass spawn was. Unfortunately, a recent cold front that moved through and has kept water temps around 50 degrees when the spawn really turns on about 65 degrees. I was told if I wanted some decent fishing, that I should hit creeks around some of the bigger lakes for some sand bass (white bass) running. Flies to use would be #6 or 8 white and chartreuse clousers. Even with the lower temps and poor fishing report, I think I might need to bring along my rod...Just in case (also there are some MASSIVE CARP down there).

The real reason I am headed to Texas is for my other passion, hunting. Down in Texas, they are having a problem with feral hogs (or wild boar) and they have turned into an invasive species. These hogs will eat everything in sight, break into peoples back yards, and tear up land like it is their job. My cousin and I are going to try our luck finding some of these pests with the help of Prone Outfitters. They are a nocturnal species, but they are always on the move.

Hopefully we will have some luck on our side!
-Brendan

No comments:

Post a Comment