Thursday, February 21, 2013

Joy vs. Obsession

I was looking at the new issue of "This is Fly" magazine and one article really caught my eye, "The Fine Line of Joy and Obsession" by Christoffer Siggelin. In the article, Christoffer talks about fishing until the point of exhaustion. When reflecting on a short film he made, called 268 Casts, Christoffer described it with this, "If you watch (and listen) carefully, you may notice that there is a fine line between the joy of fly fishing and the obsession to catch fish. Fly fishing really has the power to put a spell on you." I dont think it could be said any better. From my experience, the very first fish on a fly, you are hooked...or obsessed.

 I can still remember my first fish on the fly. I was fishing the Souhegan River in New Hampshire, not a well-renowned trout stream by any means, with a Cabela's 6 weight fly rod. The day before I went up to Stone River Outfitters in Bedford, New Hampshire and picked up a few Prince Nymphs for my fly fishing excusion. When I was on the water, I was attempting to self-teach myself nymphing. After fishing the same seam for two hours and my concentration fading, my nymphing turned into swinging and for some reason...BAMMMM! I had a rainbow jumping at the end of my line. After a small excitement-induced freakout, I was able to land the 12 inch fish. Despite it's size, that memory will stay with me forever.

Now, I am not much different. I can still stand and fish the same seam for hours, but I do know how to nymph correctly and my concentration has turned into a desire to perfect every aspect of my fly fishing game. It started out buying flies, to choosing flies, to tying flies, to tying flies for waters I don't even fish. When I am on the water, I am on the water. Sometimes I think I might be a difficult fishing partner because no matter the weather or how terrible the fishing conditions are, I don't want to leave. I never want to leave because I worry that there is the chance of the one moment it takes for the fish of a lifetime to swim by and I don't want to miss it.

So for me, joy has turned into obsession, but I get joy from this obsession. It is what I do and it is who I am. Christoffer brought up a question that might not be on the minds of fishermen, but after some thought and writing this post I think it has made me a little more obsessed. Where do you stand?

Tight Lines
-The Fly Fiend

P.S. Sweet cover huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment