Thursday, March 14, 2013

What is your secret fly?

In the March issue of Field and Stream, I flipping through and I found an article titled Have a Ball ~ The Author Shares His Top-Secret, Easy-To-Tie, Do-It-All Fly. Quite a catchy heading and from the picture I couldn't figure out what it was. Turn's out this fly, Know Nothing Shad Ball, consists of four materials:

  • Hook: Size 4 streamer (increase size and add mylar tail for salt water)
  • Thread: 6/0 White
  • Eyes: Dumbbell 
  • Body: Krystal Flash Chenille, medium
It is a successful fly for American shad, bluegills, brook trout, and crappies. With the mylar tail it can be a clutch fly for Spanish mackerel and bluefish. It looks very easy and leads me to believe that it might even fool a steelhead.

So this "Top-Secret" fly is so easy and reminds me of a couple signatures of my own. You ask what those secret flies might be? That is what caught my eye in the title, most fisherman don't tell people their secret flies. It is not a secret if you let the secret out. 

Secret flies make me think of the days when the water is crowded, gorgeous day, and no one is catching anything but you because you hold the secret that day. Sometimes you wish someone else might let you in, but isn't that part of the sport? I have a secret pattern for steelies and land-locked salmon and if the fishing God is good to me, one picture this spring might reveal the secret.

What is your secret fly? Or am I going to have to zoom in on your pictures?
-The Fly Fiend

No comments:

Post a Comment