Tuesday, March 26, 2013

That's a Cold @$$ Hohnke

Hohnke Hooks, out of Austrailia, is quite the one-man operation. Ben Hohnke, the mastermind behind Hohnke Hooks, ties flies for fresh and saltwater fish. I reached out to Hohnke because of the recent carp craze that has swept the fly fishing industry. This carp craze along with Hohnke's video made me pro-active for the upcoming season.


After seeing this video, I did a little research on Hohnke Hooks and decided to place an order. Hohnke pointed me in the direction of a few carp seducing treats and two saltwater flies for the upcoming striper season. Finally, after planes, trains and automobiles, my flies finally arrived.
  • 2 - Red Fuzzy Wuzzies (Hohnke's go-to for carp and the fly used in the cheeky video)
  • 1 Shrimp Fly (A so-called "gun fly" for carp) 
  • 1 - 1/0 Polar Fiber Minnow 
  • 1 - 1/0 Surf Candy

If getting an order of premium flies doesn't get you amped up for fishing season, then I don't know what will. These flies are great and just what my fly box needs. The carp shrimp is a nice olive chenille fly with a think skin back, small bead eyes, and some antenna's; the red fuzzy wuzzies remind me of a miramichi-esque fly; and the salt flies will entice any big bass throughout the season. Hohnke was kind enough to throw in one of his witty "Damn, That's A Cold @$$ Hohnke" stickers that has already found a new home. 

Hohnke ties all sorts of flies for fresh and saltwater, so I suggest you check out all of Hohkne Hook's flies on his Facebook or follow his Blog. These flies trick BIG fish...


-The Fly Fiend

No comments:

Post a Comment